b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] enesh Gesenius

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] enesh Gesenius
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:36:50 -0500

Philip:

This entry is speculation. Notice, he says that it is not used (in the
singular). The existance of this singular is speculated from the use of a
different noun that is irregular in its usage.

There is a similar Hebrew word that definitely comes from the root meaning
“to sicken” which refers to a generalized person, similar to the way we use
“mortal”. This one is )NW$ anowsh .

I personally don’t like speculation because speculation can mess up
understanding.

Karl W. Randolph.