b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Holem-waw in Unicode

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Holem-waw in Unicode
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 14:10:15 -0700

On 26/07/2003 11:48, Karljürgen Feuerherm wrote:

Aha. I will do this for the time being. It is a simple matter to do a global
replace later if we conclude that the distinction should not be made.

The fact that Christians and others BOTH have the distinction is one thing.
I wonder (and I think you asked this question on the Unicode list) whether
the distinction goes back to the Masoretes. If not, then it is at some level
a later artificial imposition, in the same way that (to my mind) the
'invisible Yod' proposed on the Unicode list would be (and as such would
represent an inappropriate emendation of the text).

I think I asked this question on this list as well, but I didn't get an answer, although I know some on this list have access to the facsimiles. So I will ask again:

BHS makes a distinction (clear in Genesis 4:13) between consonant waw plus holam and the compound vowel holam waw - the holam is positioned differently. The Mechon Mamre online text also makes the distinction. Is this difference actually clear in the Leningrad codex or in other Masoretic MSS? Or is it a later construct?

--
Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com