b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Holem-waw in Unicode

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Karljürgen Feuerherm <cuneiform AT rogers.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Holem-waw in Unicode
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 13:17:33 -0400

Hi (again) Peter

[and yes, this time I got this list address from piggy-backing on a message
you sent to several lists... :)]

Ok. I never thought of the two as distinct until your comments the other day
regarding this subject, and then trying it out.

I've always thought of the consonants as primary, and the pointing as
secondary, and hence as the holem belonging to the waw regardless; but I
realized earlier today one might think of the two as separate systems and
thus linking the holem with the preceding consonant, except when consonantal
waw is indicated.