b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 15:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 15:6
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 09:25:28 -0700

On 26/07/2003 08:44, waldo slusher wrote:

... then there is no place in
all of Scripture, as far as I can tell, where Abram's
"conversion-faith back in Ur" is ever mentioned.
If, as you indicated before, you include the New Testament in "all of Scripture", then you have missed Hebrews 11:8-9. Here it states that it was "by faith" that Abraham obeyed God's call and moved to the "promised land". This doesn't say whether he first had this faith in Ur or only in Haran. But, at least from the perspective of the author of Hebrews, Abraham's faith is implied by his obedience to God in Genesis 12:4-5.

I would be interested to know whether Jewish tradition refers to Abraham having faith in Ur or Haran.

--
Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com