b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Hebrew with Aramaic, Phoenician etc in scholarlypublications

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Hebrew with Aramaic, Phoenician etc in scholarlypublications
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:44:36 -0400

At 02:37 PM 7/16/2003 -0500, Karl Randolph wrote:
>I also would like to see Tenakh in paleo-Hebrew, where the sin and shin
are the same letter, where none of the sofit letters are found and where
the spaces between words were written with dots. To the lexicographer, it
may suggest connections where presently there are divisions based on modern
(since Second Temple) Hebrew.

Karl,

I assume that you do remember that unlike inscriptions, we do not posess
the text of the Tanakh "in paleo-Hebrew... where none of the sofit letters
are found and where the spaces between words were written with dots." It's
safe to assume that that's how the books that became the Tanakh were
written, but in any case that's a scholarly reconstruction. If you want to
write such a text, who's stopping you?

Yigal

Dr. Yigal Levin
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion