b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Hebrew with Aramaic, Phoenician etc in scholarly publications

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Hebrew with Aramaic, Phoenician etc in scholarly publications
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:37:01 -0500

As one who does not know cuneiform nor Akkadian, I most certainly would like
to see the original form as well as the transliteration now that it is within
unicode’s capability. At the very least it would force me to sit down and
learn these writings, whereas now I can be lazy and hope the transliterations
are accurate.

I also would like to see Tenakh in paleo-Hebrew, where the sin and shin are
the same letter, where none of the sofit letters are found and where the
spaces between words were written with dots. To the lexicographer, it may
suggest connections where presently there are divisions based on modern
(since Second Temple) Hebrew. For example, P$( (peh sin eyen) has the
meaning of to step, while P$( (peh shin eyen) has the meaning of to rebel,
step out of line. There are other words where I have found similar
connections. To have them split apart as in modern Hebrew, the computer,
which is too dumb to cross code differences, cannot help us see the possible
connections. (Incidently, the “shibboleth” incident in Judges was a
difference between a sin/shin and samekh.)

(I believe that the samekh originally had the “ks” sound. Evidences for it
are its place in the alphabet and form were the same as the letter carrying
the “ks” sound in those other languages that adopted the alphabet, and in
Ezra in his Hebrew sections and Nehemiah used it to transliterate where other
languages (in particular Greek) used their letter “x”. Interestingly, in
Aramaic, Ezra used sin/shin.)

Karl W. Randolph.