b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Constellations in Job

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Constellations in Job
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:47:49 -0500

Which translation are you using? Look at the context, the same chapter, this
is poetry with what are rather poetic references—verse 29 “Whose belly made
the ice to come forth, and who gave birth to the frost of heaven?” The whole
chapter is full of such references, so when we come to the description of the
constellations in verses 31–32, why should we assume astrological
implications? In fact, the implication of verse 33 in context is that people
cannot know the decrees of heaven, hence astrology is not supported.

The cultural references in Tenakh are so often at war with the cultures of
the “goyay hearetzot” which so often the people of Israel adopted. Is there
any reason to read Job differently? Therefore, are not Homer and Hesiod
irrelevant to Job?

> Second, the authors of the Talmud can certainly not be accused of practicing
> things forbidden in the Bible.

Yes they can be, and in numerous ways. But as I have not read Talmud and all
the ways I have heard about are second hand from those who have read it, I
cannot go into it further in a scholarly fashion, so I will hold my peace.

Karl W. Randolph.