b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Prov 21:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bearpecs AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Prov 21:4
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:59:30 EDT

In a message dated 7/15/2003 6:32:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk writes:
> the diligent wife whose *lamp* burns all night as she
> labours on, burning the midnight oil, earning revenue for the family with
> her
> cottage industries.

Interesting. My interpretation was that the lamp burns through the night so
that (a) anyone who awakens has a night light, reflecting her caring even
while she sleeps; and (b) in the morning, the oven/hearth can be lit and the
breakfast cooked, baking commence, water heated for washing, etc, (all the
necessities of a well-ordered household), without gathering kindling and
rubbing
sticks together or going to borrow a light from the neighbors.