b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Which of the two?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Which of the two?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:41:55 -0500

Dear Yigal:

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that the Masorites invented their points out
of whole cloth, i.e. that they invented the vocalizations, just that they
invented the points to illustrate the vocalizations that they were using.
There is indication that the vocalizations changed over time, and my
understanding is that the Mazorites froze the vocalizations that were handed
to them.

However, I believe that there is evidence that the vocalizations have changed
over time. We find one evidence preserved in the Byzantine tradition Gospels
in transliterations of names showing differences of pronunciation between
Galilee and Judea. From linguistics the theory is that backward places (like
Galilee) tend to preserve older pronunciations than preserved in the cultural
centers, and so we find that the Masorites preserved the Judean
pronunciations, i.e. those from the cultural center. I believe that other
letters have changed their pronunciations as well.

Therefore I find myself questioning Masoritic vocalizations: are they
accurate (some obviously are not)? However, the consonants are from an older
tradition and I’m trying an experiment, do I read the text differently when
not encumbered with the Masoritic dots than when they are present? So far the
main difference seems to be a simplification of grammar while still getting a
clear meaning. But a second difference is that I tend to concentrate on
meaning instead of taking time questioning the vocalizations.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.