b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Prov 21:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Prov 21:4
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:37:15 -0500

Jim:

This question has more than one level to answer.

First, is there any evidence that a cultivated field was ever written without
a medial yod? Though that is not impossible given the phonic spelling of
ancient Hebrew, there is no other example in Tenakh supporting this spelling
for cultivation. This is a consistent spelling for lamp.

On the other hand, the definition of X+) (chata) is not always connected with
wickedness or sin. In Judges 20:16 it is used of slingers who didn’t miss
their target. The basic meaning seems to be missing the mark, erring, i.e.
making a mistake, as well as making amends for that error. I get the
impression from some of its uses that it almost has the meaning of lacking.
Only in the moralistic uses does it have the translation of “sin”. It just so
happens that the Tenakh uses it in the moralistic sense most often, but I
suspect that it had a wider meaning in society. (In koiné Greek,
“hamartanein” has most of the same meaning.)

The meaning of the cola seems to be “the lamp of the wicked is missing (the
mark?)” At least that is how I understand this verse. Does anyone else have
another reading?

Karl W. Randolph.