b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Potiphar's title

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Potiphar's title
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:38:46 -0700

On 10/07/2003 15:54, Dave Washburn wrote:

... So my

question is, "how was such a consensus (assuming it really is such) arrived at?" Until I know that, I have no way to determine whether someone's "research" is accurately based, built on speculation, or circular reasoning (e.g. Akkadian is "early" and Genesis is "late" therefore such and such a word in Genesis MUST be a loanword from Akkadian, which proves that Genesis is "late"). ...

There must be more to it than this, Dave. See the scholars cited by K-B in my response to Stephen. Also, if as you suggested this word is part of the common Semitic stock, instead of being Akkadian ša rēši “the one at the head” > Hebrew saris, it would be Hebrew še rō'š, or 'ašer rō'š “the one at the head”. I'm not sure why Akkadian š becomes Hebrew s when borrowed, but you can hardly argue that Hebrew š (shin) becomes Hebrew s (samek).

--
Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com