b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Potiphar's title

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Banyai AT t-online.de (Michael Banyai)
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew List" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Potiphar's title
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:06:06 -0000

Walter,

I meant that it easy to evidence loanwords from strongly differing languages
but harder to demonstrate this in the concrete case for the related language
families.

Furthermore there is nothing you can demonstrate by evidencing a loanword.
Who says that the bible has been handled to us word for word in the virgin
manner fresh from the pen of the first original writer? We have numberless
examples of later redactional interventions into the text. On the lexical
level you will never be able to demonstrate anything.

You are systematicaly fading away many alternative explanations.

People with a small bias are trying to demonstrate permanently their point
and ignore any easy alternative explanation at hand.

Best regards,

Banyai Michael
Stuttgart