b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A question
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 09:58:24 -0400

Pere,

Both of the cases you gave (and there are dozens more) are examples of a
"silent Aleph", in which the Aleph is part of the root, and so is not
ignored, but has no phonetic value. If it were a "regular" consonant and
not an Aleph, it would have a Shewa. For this reason, the vowel sign is on
the previous letter. Look at Ex. 12:2, at both "ro)$" and "ri)$on".

As for Israeli Hebrew - there is a tendency to "normalize" spelling, and
also to "fill in" matres lectonis where "vowelled" spelling would not call
for them. But where the Aleph is recognizably part of the root, it would be
a mistake to replace it with a Vav. Thus, "rosh" would always be
Resh-Aleph-Shin, but "lomar" (to say) could be spelled with either an Aleph
or a Vav after the Lamed.

Yigal