b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic and Hebrew in the prayer book

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic and Hebrew in the prayer book
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:20:17 -0400

I'd have to disagree with you, Peter. The very fact that ALL of our known
early Christian writings are in Greek would show that Greek was the common
language used. My guess would be that the Semitic (i.e. Aramaic, Syriac,
Nabatean, Palmyran etc.) speaking population adopted Christianity en masse
only after it became the official religion of the Empire in the days of
Constantine, soon after which it began persecuting non-Christians. By then
(that is, 4th century), certainly for Jews, Greek represented Christianity.

Yigal