b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Prov 14:32

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Prov 14:32
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 16:00:39 -0400

The reflexive in your second proposal indicates to me that you are
suggesting that the death is the source of the refuge. If that is what you
see as the second possibility, I agree that it is farfetched.

However, if you take the "prepositional phrase" (hard to do with a single
word with prefix, but you know to what I refer) to refer to the timing of
the righteous finding refuge, you get a more acceptable interpretation: the
righteous finds refuge at the time of his death. This means the
"antecendent" (even though it comes later in the clause) of the possessive
pronoun is the righteous one.

This third option seems to be what translations like the NIV attempt to
bring out.

If the word were something other than XSH, if it were something reflecting
relief or release from trouble, then I could see a stronger case for the
antecendent of the possessive pronoun being the wicked one.

HTH,

Paul