b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jeremiah 8:8 - the pen of the scribes

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jeremiah 8:8 - the pen of the scribes
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 22:46:52 -0400

Hi Steve,

The Hebrew in question is lashsheqer `asah 'et sheqer sophrim. Note that
the first sheqer is definite as in *the* lie. "For the lie he made..." The
verb `asah wants a direct object, so I will take 'et as the direct object.
"For the lie he made a pen." What lie? The appositive answers: sheqer
sophrim, "lie of scribes."

"It was for the lie that he made a pen, lie of scribes." The particular lie
of scribes is in making a pen, a gesture that should equate with devotion to
the text. However, in the prohet's estimation, making a pen was a lying
gesture in that devotion to the message was absent.

Shalom, Bryan

You wrote:

> Shalom b-hebrew,
>
> Jeremiah 8:8 (KJB)
> How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us?
> Lo, certainly in vain made he it; the pen of the scribes is in vain.
>
> JPS-1985
> Assuredly, for naught has the pen labored, For naught the scribes !
>
> NAS
> How can you say, 'We are wise, And the law of the LORD is with us'?
> But behold, the lying pen of the scribes Has made {it} into a lie.
>
> The NAS (and many modern Christian versions) meaning is much different
than the KJB or JPS.
> In one case the pen of the scribes actively lies/deceives, in the other it
is in vain, or for naught.

> Comments on the underlying Hebrew, including ... shehker, and the full
constructions ?

> Thanks :-)
>
> Shalom,
> Steven Avery