b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Jeremiah 8:8 - the pen of the scribes

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT escape.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Jeremiah 8:8 - the pen of the scribes
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 22:23:09 -0400

Shalom b-hebrew,

Jeremiah 8:8 (KJB)
How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us?
Lo, certainly in vain made he it; the pen of the scribes is in vain.

JPS-1985
Assuredly, for naught has the pen labored, For naught the scribes !

NAS
How can you say, 'We are wise, And the law of the LORD is with us'?
But behold, the lying pen of the scribes Has made {it} into a lie.

The NAS (and many modern Christian versions) meaning is much different than
the KJB or JPS.
In one case the pen of the scribes actively lies/deceives, in the other it is
in vain, or for naught.

Comments on the underlying Hebrew, including ... shehker, and the full
constructions ?

Thanks :-)

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Queens, NY

schmuel AT escape.com

Messianic_Apologetic-subscribe AT yahoogroups.com