b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Jonah 1:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben and Jo Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Jonah 1:2
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 12:10:25 +0000

Haverim,

This weekend I am starting a series on Jonah. Immediately there is a textual
crux in 1:2 "Arise go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry *against* it, for
their wickedness is come up before me" (KJV).

The LXX has ... POREUQHTI IES NINEUH THN POLIN THN MEGALHN, KAI KHRUXON *EN
AUTHi*....

The Vulgate has ... vade in Nineven civitatem grandem et praedica *en ea* ...

The BHS hasĀ ... LeK 'eL-NiYN:WeH Ha`iYR HaGG:DoWLaH uWQ:Ra' *`aLeYHa* ...

Could it be that an original Aleph has been substituted by an `ayin in the
BHS, the scribes taking Jonah's view (4:2) that mercy should not be preached
to the Ninevites, but rather Wrath be preached against it? There is no
footnote in the App: Crit: of the BHS to this effect.

I would be very grateful for any learned comments on this.

Shalom
Ben
<ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>
http://www.cnetwork.co.uk/crick.htm