b-hebrew - RE: Psalm 110 was Re: [b-hebrew] LORD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: Psalm 110 was Re: [b-hebrew] LORD
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 09:39:49 -0500

I've already mentioned one (anonymus) interpretaion that I've come across,
by which the writer is Eliezer, speaking of YHWH saying to his master -
Abraham - "you will be like Melchizedek". I since also been alerted to
Kimhi's interpretation, by which David wrote the psalm for the Levites to
recite in the Temple (or tent - let's not get technical), about the promise
made by YHWH to THEIR master - David. It seems that the possibilities are
endless.

Yigal

At 11:17 PM 3/3/2003 +1100, Peter Kirk wrote:
>Sorry to come into this late, I have been away. But I must disagree with
>Mark's "I think everyone agrees that those words are not spoken to David."
>Surely this is a rather probable interpretation of the psalm, in its
>original context, by those who do not insist that David must have been the
>author.
>
>We have three persons (not the trinity!) referred to in this verse: YHWH,
>the psalmist, and the psalmist's master ('adon). They must be distinct
>persons, we assume.
>
>If we don't insist that the psalmist is David, the most straightforward
>interpretation is that the psalmist is a courtier and his (or her) lord is a
>king or other high status individual, possibly a priest. If the title LDWD
>is not taken to indicate authorship, it may indicate that the master is in
>fact King David. This would fit well with the reference to Melchizedek,
>ancient priest-king of Jerusalem: after David captures Jerusalem, he takes
>on the dual role of Melchizedek, and this psalm may have originated at his
>enthronement ceremony.
>
>If we insist that the psalmist is David, then his master must be someone
>else. Conceivably it could be King Saul, for whom David sang songs (and I
>presuppose some historicity of the books of Samuel here, otherwise it is
>meaningless to write of David). Or even Solomon as Ben suggested, but would
>David have called his son "my lord"? The Christian interpretation is of
>course that David's master is the Messiah - though Christian understandings
>have often been confused by the double use of KURIOS in the New Testament
>quotations of this verse, following or followed by the LXX as in the great
>4th century MSS.
>
>How would the Jewish scholars on the list react to the suggestion that this
>is Messianic, i.e. "my lord" is a prophetic reference to the Messiah?
>
>Peter Kirk
>peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
>http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/

Dr. Yigal Levin