b-hebrew - Re: RE: RE: [b-hebrew] The Priestly Stratum (Liz)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kurt Noll" <KLNoll AT kwc.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: RE: RE: [b-hebrew] The Priestly Stratum (Liz)
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:02:32 -0600

Dear Liz,

Thanks for the clarification. Your article sounds exciting and I can't
wait to read it.

I think your question about the compositional date of "P" (however one
might define "P") is a valid question. From what others have posted on
this thread, I'm guessing we all agree there was a priesthood in
Jerusalem prior to the exile and the traditions from that priesthood are
preserved in the Bible (whether we can now isolate them or not), and
that the process of preservation included modification during the
Persian (and probably Hellenistic) period. So, for the book you are
reviewing, I guess the real issue is this: Does the book's author
dogmatically exclude any discussion of Iron Age II, or does the author
merely say that since the material passed through the post-exilic era it
is valid to read what is preserved in the Bible against that historical
setting? If the former, the author is on shaky ground. If the latter,
the author is probably sound.

Shalom,
Kurt

*********************************
Dr. Kurt L. Noll
Kentucky Wesleyan College
3000 Frederica Street
Owensboro, KY 42302
http://www.kwc.edu/academic/religion/index.html
(270) 852-3220
KLNoll AT kwc.edu

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something
when his salary depends on his not understanding it."
- Upton Sinclair