b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] DSS Tense Aspect Mood

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: goranson AT duke.edu
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] DSS Tense Aspect Mood
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 07:29:51 -0500

Ken,
Of course you likely won't want to expand the topic in all directions
if you want to finish the dissertation. Here, in no careful order, are
a few possibilities, some of which you might consider considering.

"Why Did the Qumran Community Write in Hebrew?" is a good question,
and an article title by Steven Weitzman JAOS 119 (1999) 235f. Related:
Wm. Schneidewind "Qumran Hebrew as an Antilanguage," JBL 118 (1999)
235f (the adopted term "antilanguage" is not satisfactory, but the
article is better than the title); J. Campbell, "Hebrew and its Study
at Qumran," Hebrew Study from Ezra to Ben-Yehuda (1999) 38f.; S.
Segert, "Hebrew Essenes--Aramaic Christians," Mogilany 1995...(Krakow,
1998) 169f; etc.

Chronology matters. Before 1948 many thought Hebrew was little-used in
late second temple period, deferring to Aramaic. Hence, for example,
the 2 then-popular Aramaic guesses for etymology of "Essenes." As is
now increasingly recognized, "Essenes" comes from a self-designation,
found internally at Qumran, and in acccord with external evidence.
This self-designation--like the choice to write Rules and Pesharim
[itself an important term of course; and genre may matter (subsets of
prose)]--in Hebrew, is significant.

At Brown University, where such papers were quite welcomed, no one
presented any good reason to deny that Essenes lived at Qumran; the
positive evidence is ineluctable. so the Greek etc. accounts, used
appropriately, are relevant.

Chronology matters for evaluating claims of development (e.g. Avi
Hurvitz of Hebrew U., or Kutscher Isaiah book and supp.; or Qimron's
word lists & cf. Leshonenu articles and Materials for the Historical
Dictionary of the Hebrew Language microfiche, apparently now on CD) or
archaizing.

One repeated dating error, noted by me and Dr. Jull of the Arizona lab:
To say: these mss were written no later than X date, and so any C14
date ranges after that date are wrong. Circular, basic
misunderstanding of C14 tests and their reported probabilities. Why
some doggedly prefer wrong dates is another topic.

Martin Abegg's tagged concordance is on CD, OakTree (printed version,
Brill; Stephen Pfann Concordance, Bibal Press, TX, fc). It may be of
interest to see if your verb lists match; note readings or
interpretations which are disputed; whether your taggings match.

How to read the 390 years in CD? Can it mean 390 after the end of
Babylonian Captivity? That would accord with other pointers to
Alexander Jannaeus as Wicked Priest.

best wishes,
Stephen Goranson