b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Questions about Job

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: daladiersantos AT bol.com.br, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Questions about Job
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 14:44:40 EST

In a message dated 2/9/2003 2:30:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
daladiersantos AT bol.com.br writes:

> A few questions about Job book fill my mind. Where found Satan when the
> BENEY ELOHIM come in
> your presence? In heaven? I find it hard to believe. Who are the BENEY
> ELOHIM? The LXX bring
> ANGELLOI, angels. At last, exist THE DAY of apresentation of beney elohim
> (the article is
> used)? If yes, which of them become?

Yes, Satan was found to be among the B.:N"Y ):aLoHiYM. Cf. Re 12.7 where
there is war in heaven between Michael and the Dragon. The B.:N"Y
Hf):eLoHiYM are beings belonging to the divine sphere.

The use of the expression “sons of God” (more correctly “sons of the gods”)
with reference to heavenly beings does not imply actual progeny of God (or
the gods) but reflects the common Semitic use of “son” (Heb ben) to denote
membership of a class or group. “Sons of the gods,” then, designates beings
belonging to the heavenly or divine sphere. Such allusions to a plurality of
divine beings, occurring especially in the Psalms and related poetic
literature, represent a stage when Israel’s Yahwism found room for a pantheon
in many ways similar to Canaanite models (cf. the literature of Ugarit). In
the Bible, however, such beings are clearly subordinate to Yahweh, forming
his heavenly court or council (Job 1:6; 2:1; 38:7; Pss 29:1; 82:6; 89:6; cf.
Deut 32:43 LXX). Heb Hebrew; Epistle to the Hebrews

Freedman, D. N. (1996, c1992). The Anchor Bible Dictionary (Vol. 6, Page
156). New York: Doubleday.

gfsomsel