b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Questions about Job

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Daladier Lima" <daladiersantos AT bol.com.br>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Questions about Job
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 16:31:27 -0300

A few questions about Job book fill my mind. Where found Satan when the BENEY
ELOHIM come in
your presence? In heaven? I find it hard to believe. Who are the BENEY
ELOHIM? The LXX bring
ANGELLOI, angels. At last, exist THE DAY of apresentation of beney elohim
(the article is
used)? If yes, which of them become?

Daladier Lima
Brazil
>From jwest AT highland.net Sun Feb 9 14:37:16 2003
>A few questions about Job book fill my mind. Where found Satan when the
BENEY ELOHIM come in
>your presence? In heaven? I find it hard to believe.

many interpreters of Job believe that the *adversary* is here simply one of
god's agents in the world whose job it is to look for transgressors. later
tradition made him THE devil- but at this stage of the tradition he is
simply a servant of god.

>Who are the BENEY ELOHIM?

they are the heavenly court attendents. just as a king has a court so does
god. they serve god by advising him and running his errands.

>The LXX bring
>ANGELLOI, angels. At last, exist THE DAY of apresentation of beney elohim
(the article is
>used)? If yes, which of them become?

the LXX is probably right.

regarding the *day*- its probably a bit much to press the definite article
too much here. not so much THE day is meant but *one day*. i.e. *one day
the council of god assembled and as usual among them was the prosecutor, who
said to god- ive been wandering all around the world looking for bad folk.
and god says, have you seen my servent job? hes perfect! (etc).

best

jim

Jim West, ThD

Biblical Studies Resources