b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Re: Grammar Texts Question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "'b-hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Wayne Leman <Wayne_Leman AT sil.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Re: Grammar Texts Question
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:23:42 +1100

Agreed, Bryan. There is an implied object of either "message" (perhaps
"command") or "messenger". So this becomes a case where a word-for-word
English gloss of "send" is inadequate in a general purpose translation,
either an object must be supplied or a different English word used.
Actually the sense often seems to me to be action at second hand, almost
causative. In the translation I was working on we generally translated
"Send and call..." with a causative form of the verb "call", i.e. "cause
(someone else) to call", or "summon". But I think we would do well to
recognise this as a Hebrew idiom whose meaning is different from the sum
of its parts, rather than trying to analyse it and reconstruct it from
English words.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/