b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Re: Grammar Texts Question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "'b-hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Wayne Leman <Wayne_Leman AT sil.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Re: Grammar Texts Question
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 21:43:02 +1100

Bryan, I appreciate your goal of encouraging people to appreciate good
Hebrew. And I understand that it is not your responsibility to teach
them good English. But perhaps you might accept some responsibility, as
a good citizen if nothing else, for not teaching them bad English!

In fact Samuel's Hebrew is not bad, or even idiosyncratic and unusually
abrupt. It is good Hebrew, which needs to be appreciated for what it is
and for being syntactically different from English. I chose one example
of a common idiom, see also Gen 27:45, 1 Sam 20:12,31, 2 Kings 6:13,
7:13, Ezra 4:14, Job 1:4,5, Jer 43:10 - from a search of the NRSV for
"send and". For more examples of this Hebrew idiom, see the article
"Send!" by John Ellington in The Bible Translator, Vol. 45 No. 2 (April,
1994): 228-238 - this should be available online at