b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Satan

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: tmcos AT canada.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Satan
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 06:59:56 -0800 (PST)

Dear Friends, I am currently doing some research on the
subject of 'satan' in the Hebrew Bible and in the
non-canonical literature. I was wondering if you could
refer me to some good texts on the subject,
particlularly on the development of 'satan' as a
separate entity who is in opposition to God and man. I
was also wondering if you could comment on 1 Chron.21:1
where 'satan' appears without the article. Some
commentators argue that an anarthorous noun like
'satan' in this text is used as a proper name, whereas
in other places (Job 1&2 and Zech.3:1-3) it is
articular and means "the accuser, the adversary) I also
noticed that Ps.109:6 als uses 'satan' witout the
article and the KJV translates it as a proper name. I
look forward to your response.

Tony Costa

University of
Toronto