b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] RE: transliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Matthew Anstey" <anstey AT postmark.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] RE: transliteration
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:06:17 +1100

Hi all,

Just out of interest, compared to Hebrew, Arabic is much more difficult.
Learning Arabic script takes children about three years in a
native-language school - the orthography is much more difficult. Native
arabic speakers/writers actually often find it easier to write in second
languages learned as adults than in fully pointed arabic script.

Regarding transliteration, I am curious if anyone has found the
transliterated Hebrew database in Bibleworks 5.0 to be useful. I am the
copyright holder of it (parts thereof to be exact). It took a lot of
work. I am in the process of producing a different transliteration based
on a better phonological analysis of BH.

Cheers,
Matthew

Matthew Anstey
Semantic Domains of Biblical Hebrew (SDBH) Dictionary Project
United Bible Societies

Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam
Faculteit der Godgeleerdheid
Residence: Kambah, ACT, Australia