b-hebrew - hapodeinu / hapod'cha

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jason A. Hare" <language_lover64801 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: hapodeinu / hapod'cha
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:26:23 -0500

B-Hebrew list,

I never come on this list anymore except when I have a question, but this
has really been puzzling me.

In the Siddur, I have noticed for a long time (and had no satisfaction
with the form) in the Brachah after Kriat Sh'ma that it says: "hapodeinu
miyad m'lachim." I know that normally a personal suffix makes the
substantive (noun or participle) **definite** and that no article is added
to it.

The problem is that with this word "padah" (peh dalet heh) the article is
added to a participial substantive even within the Tanakh.

For example, Deuteronomy 13.5 (verse 6 in HB) says: "... v'hapod'cha
mibeit avadim..." ("... and the one redeeming you from the house of
slaves...). Why does PODEH take an article when it has a personal suffix?

Please, send replies to joplinhebrew AT yahoo.com .

Thanks so much in advance!

Jason Hare