b-hebrew - Re: tsav latsav qav laqav - Isaiah 28:10&13

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Alastair Haines <haines AT alastairs.com>
  • To: Lew Osborne <osbo AT hn.ozemail.com.au>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: tsav latsav qav laqav - Isaiah 28:10&13
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:57:15 +1100

Dear Lew

Thank you for your reply, sorry it has taken me a while to respond- preparing
for a Hebrew exam actually.

I am impressed with the picture you have built up from the text and can guess
how you arrived at some of it. Can I ask some follow-up questions? What do you
mean by "drunk, but not with wine?" How do you get the interpretation 'we know
enough, we don't need to study any more?' (I wish I could have said that about
preparation for my Hebrew exam :-)

Cheers,
alastair
--
Alastair Haines 9386-0016
http://www.alastairs.com/

Lew Osborne wrote:

> Alastair
>
> It must be understood.
>
> The key is in the fact that the priest was drunk but not with wine, he then
> fell backwards. He recited this little dity and what he was in fact saying
> was, 'we know enough, we don't need to study any more' Because of this
> Israel were destroyed for lack of knowledge. (Hosea) The next chapter in
> Isaiah (29) confirms this with the comment concerning the spirit of
> blindness.
>
> Lew

begin:vcard
n:Haines;Alastair
tel;fax:8569-2300
tel;home:9386-0016
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.alastairs.com
org:Presbyterian Theological Centre;1st Year
version:2.1
email;internet:haines AT alastairs.com
title:Student
adr;quoted-printable:;;Flat 2 of 34 Read Street=0D=0ABronte;Sydney;New South Wales;2024;Australia
fn:Alastair Ian Haines
end:vcard