b-hebrew - Re: tsav latsav qav laqav - Isaiah 28:10&13

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben and Jo Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: tsav latsav qav laqav - Isaiah 28:10&13
  • Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 23:34:02 +0000

On Sat 16 Nov 2002 (23:41:19 +1100), haines AT alastairs.com wrote:
> I wondered if any of the list members cared to comment on how Isaiah
> 28:10&13 should be understood.
>
> tsav latsav tsav latsav qav laqav qav laqav
>
> Or shouldn't it be understood? Is that the point?

The Sitz im Leben is something like this. The religious leaders of Isaiah's
time were complaining that Isaiah was treating them like Kindergarten kids
(verse 9). Don't you talk down to us!

In the Kindergarten, the children sit in a semicircle in front of the
teacher,
who recites verses phrase by phrase for them to repeat and learn by rote.

So we have this exchange:
Teacher: CaW LaCaW Children: CaW LaCaW
Teacher: QaW LaQaW Children: QaW LaQaW
Teacher: W:`eR $aM Children: W:`eR $aM

And to underline it, it is repeated again at verse 13.
For CaW compare Hosea 5:11, HaLaK 'aXa:ReY-CaW; for QaW compare 1 Kings 7:23,
W:QaW $:Li$iYM Ba'aMMaH (although there is a QeRe-KeTiB complication there).

God warned Isaiah in 6:9 that his hearers would not want to listen, and
would misconstrue all he said. In Isaiah 18:2 and 7 a GoWY QaW-QaW is
going to be a problem. A nation whose speech is QaW-QaW? A nation whose
speech the Greeks would say sounded like "Bar-bar", so "barbarians"?

If Isaiah's hearers would not believe what he told them in simple language,
then they would be told in a foreign language which they did not know: the
Babylonian language.

The view from here...

Ben
<ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>