b-hebrew - Re: tsav latsav qav laqav - Isaiah 28:10&13

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <SDBIBLESTUDY AT aol.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: tsav latsav qav laqav - Isaiah 28:10&13
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 00:55:55 -0800

Dear Jeff,

The context of Isaiah 28 is referring to the UNBELIEF and exile of the Israelites of the Northern Kingdom of Israel. The people construed the prophetic voice as speaking in babbling voice. Therefore, they would then hear the Assyrian tongue (dialect/language) as just as meaningless, because they would be going into exile and would not be able to understand the language. It is the sin of unbelief. Paul, in I Corinthians 14, is making the application regarding tongues to be 1) real languages and 2) a sign of unbelief by the Jews. It is this means of a literal hermeneutic that Paul is applying to the context of I Corinthians 12-14. As the Israelites of the Northern Kingdom were given a sign of a foreign language (Assyrian) as a sign of unbelief, so to the Corinthians Paul is explaining the real purpose of tongues, as a sign of unbelief by the Jews.

En Xpistw,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III