b-hebrew - Re: Deut29, Yigal

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Deut29, Yigal
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 21:05:10 -0500

Hi Bryan,

Your right that it's not simple - if it was we'd have nothing to discuss.
Assuming that we don't know what "sephoth" means, what we have is that this
unruly person thinks he can get away with whatever he's doing, "lema'an -
in order to - (somthing) the saturation, the thirsty". You are right that
"the thirsty" is the object. "harawah" would then be the subject, and
"sephoth" the verb.
What about reading "hassim'ah", "the thirst", instead of "hasseme'ah", "the
thirsty". Then the saturation would be quenching the thirst (what else
could it do).

Yigal

>Yigal,
>How do you reconcile the syntax of the Hebrew with "to quench with drinking
>thirst"? The preposition 'et-- "with"-- has "the thirsty" as its object,
>not "the saturated."
>
>Would you reconsider and read "to quench the drinking with thirst"?
>
>I am uncomfortable with your neglect of the definite articles on the
>adjectives. I think it reads "the saturated" and "the thirsty."
>
>I am also skeptical that the root means "adding" in general or quenching in
>so mundane a context. I think it is always used to describe utter
>devastation. When it means "add" it means "to heap on devastation."
>
>For what it's worth the LXX translates hINA MH SUNAPOLESH hO hAMARTWLOS TON
>ANAMARTHTON
>"...so that the sinner may perish with the blameless."
>
>I suppose the sinner is drunk and the blameless is dry.
>

>Shalom,
>Bryan
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu]
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')
>To subscribe, send an email to join-b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu.

Dr. Yigal Levin
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
615 McCallie Avenue