b-hebrew - vav conversive

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jane Harper <jharper AT woh.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: vav conversive
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 23:18:54 -0500

On another list, I'm watching an enthusiastic discussion of theological conclusions reached because of the way vav-conversive verbs at the beginning of sentences are translated. One of the participants makes extensive reference to Driver's book, which if I understand it correctly advocates an aspectarian view of the verb.

Is there a scholarly consensus about the vav-conversive at this point in history? If so, what is it?

Thanks a lot.

Jane Harper

A secret is something you say in such a way that everyone can hear it, and yet no one who is not supposed to know can know it. -- Rabbi Simchah Bunem of Przysucha