b-hebrew - Re: Alcoholic Beverages in BH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Alcoholic Beverages in BH
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 15:16:10 -0400

Dear Martin,

Realizing that the following does not really answer your
question...

I suspect casting one's bread upon the water refers to
turning swampland into cultivated field. Bread would refer
to food-corn(as opposed to seed-corn). So the verse refers
to taking the risk of dipping into the food supply to
increase the future yield as well as draining the swamp.
Paraphrase: "Sow your bread-corn into the drained marshes."

BTW, much of this activity, i.e. turning swampland into
farmland, has been done in Israel.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine