b-hebrew - RE: Isaiah 40:22 - Circle of the earth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben and Jo Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Isaiah 40:22 - Circle of the earth
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 23:45:33 +0100

On Thu 18 Jul 2002 (22:48:09 +0200), peter_kirk AT sil.org wrote:
> Surely "God of Israel" doesn't mean "God of the land of Israel"? Israel
> was originally a person, then a nation, and only thirdly a land. So "God
> of Israel" was originally "God of Jacob", then "God of the people of
> Israel", long before they even lived in the land of Israel. The concept
> of a god of a particular geographical area does not seem to have been
> an Israelite one.

I wonder if Isaiah had Numbers 13:32-33 in mind?

"... the land [Ha'aReC] we explored devours those living in it. All the
people
we saw there are of great size. We saw the Nephilim there.... We seemed like
grasshoppers [Xa:GaBiYM] in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them"
(NIV).

Even so, IMHO, I feel that the "Land" in Isaiah 40:22 is the Inhabitable
Earth
of Creation (cf Isaiah 45:18), rather than just the Promised Land of Canaan.

Ben
<ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>
http://www.cnetwork.co.uk/crick.htm