b-hebrew - RE: Isaiah 40:22 - Circle of the earth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Isaiah 40:22 - Circle of the earth
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 22:48:09 +0200

Surely "God of Israel" doesn't mean "God of the land of Israel"? Israel
was originally a person, then a nation, and only thirdly a land. So "God
of Israel" was originally "God of Jacob", then "God of the people of
Israel", long before they even lived in the land of Israel. The concept
of a god of a particular geographical area does not seem to have been an
Israelite one.

Peter Kirk