b-hebrew - RE: Isaiah 40:22 - Circle of the earth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Isaiah 40:22 - Circle of the earth
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 23:46:10 +0200

Jack, I would say that your use of five of the six verses you use is a
good example of the etymological fallacy, because we have no real
evidence other than etymology to relate the noun RAQIA( to the verb RQ(.
Well, you might argue that the sixth verse, Job 37:18, shows some link,
but I can respond that this could very easily be simply a word play.

On the other hand, Ezekiel 1 and Job 37:18 does provide some good
evidence about the Hebrew concept of the heavens and the RAQIA( of
Genesis 1.

Peter Kirk

blue
> and purple [is] their clothing: they [are] all the work of cunning
[men].

> Ez 6:11 Thus saith the Lord GOD; Smite with thine hand, and stamp
<rq(>
> with thy foot and say, Alas for all the evil abominations of the house
of
> Israel! for they shall fall by the sword, by the famine, and by the
> pestilence.
>
> The vision of the throne of God described in the Ezekiel 1 included
the
> reference to a firmament. This was a rigid structure. It was a
platform,
> composed of a SOLID crystalline substance, which supported the throne
of
> God. It was supported by four living creatures. This firmament or
platform
> was described :
>
> "And the likeness of the firmament upon the heads of the living
creature
> [was] as the colour of the terrible crystal, stretched forth over
their
> heads above. And under the firmament [were] their wings straight, the
one
> toward the other: every one had two, which covered on this side, and
every
> one had two, which covered on that side, their bodies. And when they
went,
> heard the noise of their wings, like the noise of great waters, as the
> voice
> of the Almighty, the voice of speech, as the noise of an host: when
they
> stood, they let down their wings And there was a voice from the
firmament
> that [was] over their heads, when they stood, [and] had let down their
> wingsAnd above the firmament that [was] over their heads [was] the
> likeness
> of a throne, as the appearance of a sapphire stone: and upon the
likeness
> of
> the throne [was] the likeness as the appearance of a man above upon
it."

> In short, the "firmament" is a solid, beaten or stamped out plate that
> stretches over the "eretz" and keeps those water above it from washing
> away
> your new RV.
>
> I see no "etymological fallacy" but sure am willing to
listen..er...read.