b-hebrew - RE: The daughter of Jeftah died?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: soren AT enteract.com
  • To: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The daughter of Jeftah died?
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 16:13:00 -0500

I don't know if Liz has confused Daniel Werlin but she has certainly confused
me. The story of Yiftah is not a random story, it is one of several stores
brought together by a D narrator weho wished to show (the editor does explain
his/her motives in the text) that when the Israelites abandoned Yahweah, this
had ill consequences (foreign rule) but that Yahweh did not fully abandon His
people but raised up great leaders to redeem them spiritually and physically.

I don't know, and I doubt if it will ever be known, which, if any, of these
stories were in written form before our editor or what thosew written forms
were.

I suspect what is bothering Liz is the assumption that sacrificing a child is
against Biblical Israaelite religion. The trouble is that while that
assumption may be comforting to us (how many of us woule sacrifice our only
child even at his/her worst?), there is no particular support for it. THere
is
one child sacrifice story in Genesis, there is another in Kings (which gets
mentioned in Joshua) and there is Ezekial's comment (I think chapter 22 but I
don't have any texts before me) quoting Yahwah as saying that he gave bad
laws
to Israel by commanding them to sacrifice their first-born. THe editor
includes this story because it shows Yiftah's relgious virtue (and thus his
fitness to lead Israel) as he keep his vow even when it led in a direction he
had not suspected.

Steve Oren