b-hebrew - RE: The daughter of Jeftah died?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Madden, Shawn" <sMadden AT sebts.edu>
  • To: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The daughter of Jeftah died?
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 17:12:02 -0400

"Who is the author of the book of Judges,
when did he live, where did he live?
What was the process by which he wrote these (hi)stories?"

Though today skepticism exists as to who the author actually was, the Talmud
was confident to name Samuel, a person who would satisfy as one who would be
familiar with the events or documents pertaining to the events. He would also
be someone respected enough to suggest that perhaps what he wrote was worth
keeping. As to how he wrote, who knows; who thinks they can present an
argument for the exact transmission details. And, who thinks that lack of
such knowledge negates the works we have today? Does 21st century standards
the only standards by which we judge the value and veracity of ancient
writings? Herodotus, problems though he may have by today's standards,
remains the father of history.