b-hebrew - RE: discourse analysis and circular reasoning

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Rolf Furuli'" <furuli AT online.no>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: discourse analysis and circular reasoning
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:57:00 +0100

But Rolf, if Niccacci's method is "descriptive" and so wanting, what is
different about any other method including yours? As far as I can see,
by your argument there is no method by which we can find out how many
conjugations there are or anything about the meaning of Hebrew. So
should we all give up and go home? Or how can we find a method which is
not circular (and which is not based, as yours is, on subjective
judgments of which verbs are past, present or future) which can actually
tell us something about the semantics of Hebrew?

Peter Kirk