b-hebrew - RE: Is R)$YT even a "time" word?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Is R)$YT even a "time" word?
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:38:22 +0300

Ian, Enuma Elish indicates when the Babylonians thought creation
started, Rashi indicates what some Greek philosophers thought about
this, LXX indicates what other Greeks thought. None tell us directly
what the ancient Israelites thought.

The LXX translators clearly understood BERESHIT as EN ARCHi, "in the
beginning", in an absolute sense. It is possible that the aorist has an
inceptive sense here, so "In the beginning God began to create the
heavens and the earth". I have no quarrel with that understanding of the
Greek, though I doubt if the Hebrew can mean that. But the Greek does
not mean "In the beginning of God's creating...", the sentence structure
is quite different and EN ARCHi is absolute and unqualified.

I have separately refuted each of your individual arguments when you put
them forward. If you can't put together the separate refutations, send
me a full list of all your arguments and I will send a summary list of
all my refutations in one e-mail.

But of course you have no idea what I am talking about because you don't
derive the meaning of phrases and sentences from the meanings of words.
What do you derive my meaning from? Your prejudices about what you
expect a stereotypical evangelical Christian to say? That might explain
some of your responses.

Peter Kirk

Greek