b-hebrew - RE: bereshit (translations) Paul

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <smdirect AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: bereshit (translations) Paul
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 12:16:38 -0500

NOTE: permission given for response on-list

No, Ian, they are of a completely different character. The other instances
of "time words" in your list, almost always YWM or its plural form, are
words describing *duration* of time. R)$YT in the cases you give refers to
a *particular point or event*, the beginning of a series. I would say that
there needs be a bit more groundwork laid that a "point" word is handled the
same as a "duration" word before we can lump them together as "time" words
and then go on to make conclusions, e.g., because YWM is handled in such a
way, R)$YT can be interpreted the same way.

Paul Zellmer