b-hebrew - RE: bereshit and mereshit.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: bereshit and mereshit.
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 19:55:56 -0500

I accept Rashi's opinion primarily because once
taking Hebrew from Dan Fleming in grad school at NYU,
I mis-translated something and was very embarrassed.
In fact it was this very thing, that a VSO clause should be
a pluperfect, that it does not move the narrative along.
So I went home and looked it up in Gesenius, and there it was,
and so I checked in Rashi and it was there too, so there you are.
The story we were reading was the story of Dinah. Then I
noticed that this VSO thing popped up everywhere.
There have been other things too, which suggest that Rashi
knows what he's talking about.
So that's why.
Liz