b-hebrew - RE: bereshit and mereshit.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Paul Zellmer'" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: bereshit and mereshit.
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 20:23:32 -0000

We see the same understanding in the LXX of Gen 1:1, which is earlier
than John 1:1 (probably!) and clearly translated bereshit as an
absolute: EN ARCHi EPOIHSEN... "In beginning made...", where "made" is
unambiguously a finite verb. This is a clear witness to how Gen 1:1 was
understood at a time long before Rashi's time, much closer to the
original author's time especially if, as I think Ian believes, he or she
wrote in the Hellenistic period.

Peter Kirk

<snip>

... In the GNT, in John 1:1, we have
> the
> Greek equivalent of BR'$YT with no completing thought. If that did
not
> give
> pause to these following at least one of the traditional lines some
2000
> years ago, who are we to say that doing this with Gen 1:1 should
require
> the
> BARA clause to be subordinate in this case?

<snip>