b-hebrew - RE: Canon(ical) Criticism

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Smith" <kens AT 180solutions.com>
  • To: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Canon(ical) Criticism
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 12:26:24 -0800

I think that's exactly what I was trying to say, Liz. I'm certainly not
advocating an intentional mistranslation of a passage. But (as Childs
concludes), there really isn't any one particular English word that is a
good translation of (LMH. Not only is the evidence for its actual
meaning rather ambiguous, but most scholars think that neither "virgin"
nor "young woman" precisely capture its semantic range. Given that
ambiguity, and given the extensive Christian tradition (both within the
Christian canon and outside of it) which sees Is. 7:14 as a reference to
Mary, I don't think it's at all a stretch for a Christian Bible to
render it as "virgin". (I would hardly expect a Jewish translation to
do so, of course: Judaism has its own interpretive history to work with
and answer to.) I agree that a prophecy of the virgin birth of the
Messiah probably wasn't what the historical Isaiah was trying to say --
but then the final, canonical shape of the book of Isaiah was hardly
what the historical Isaiah was trying to say, either. And I'm not sure
I see any fundamental difference (there are some differences, obviously)
between reading Is. 1 in light of Isaiah 66, reading Joshua 7 in light
of Genesis 12, reading Is. 7 in light of Matthew 1, reading John 1 in
light of the Council of Nicea, or reading Deut. 6 in light of the
Mishnah or Talmud.

Ken