b-hebrew - RE: Sacrifice.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Smith" <kens AT 180solutions.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Sacrifice.
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:26:37 -0800

Not to dispute the results of the archaeological investigations you
refer to, but how would you reconcile the account in Jeremiah 7:31 with
what has been uncovered archaeologically? After all, Jeremiah 7 is
presumably a highly contemporary account. (Unlike, say, the accounts of
the conquest, which in their present form are pretty well acknowledged
to be much later than the conquest itself.) Would Jeremiah have
bothered to attack a practice that, well, wasn't practiced? I'm no
fundie, and don't have any trouble acknowledging that the Bible and
history as known from other sources don't always match -- but I would
expect that an account from a contemporary, local eyewitness such as
Jeremiah would have to be given considerable weight even by those who
have nothing riding on Biblical inerrancy. Jeremiah was already
unpopular enough around Jerusalem -- he wouldn't have bothered to make
something like this up, would he?

In other words, is it legitimate, in this instance, to question the
archaeological results? Are there any blank spots in those
investigations that could leave room for Jeremiah's accusations to be
taken seriously? Is perhaps a judgment of non liquet the best we can do
at the moment?

Ken Smith