b-hebrew - Re: Sacrifice.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yon_saf AT bezeqint.net>
  • To: "ian goldsmith" <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sacrifice.
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 18:34:16 +0200

The question is not whether the Bible APPROVES it, but whether or not it
FORBIDS or CENSURES it. And in the Torah and Former Prophets, except for the
Priestly and Deutoronomic/istic strands, all the evidence is that the Bible
does NOT forbid or censure human sacrifice in principle. It's an accepted
fact of life, when it appears.
---
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies