b-hebrew - Re: alef, ayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: alef, ayin
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 02:46:06 +0100

>I was taught that Alef and ayin should be thaught of as silent until I get
>fluent. Where can I hear them pronounced on the WEB?

The alef is a "sound" that English speakers use a lot. Contradict someone by
saying
a-a, and between these two "a" is an alef, ie a closure of the glottis (in
your
throat). Pick up something heavy and the first thing you usually do is close
your glottis. Normally, when you start a communication
with a vowel, you put a glottal closure in front unconsciously. "Are you
ready?", should start with the glottis
closed, ie you make an alef.

An ayin is similar to an alef, but with force to break the closure of the
glottis.

I don't know if hearing them detached from a linguistic act will help much.

Ian