b-hebrew - Gen 15:17

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Eric Hill" <bhebrew AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Gen 15:17
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 15:38:14 -0500

I'm looking for a more detailed description of the "smoking firepot with a
blazing torch" (NIV) or "smoking furnace, and a flaming torch" (JPS) that
is spoken of here in Gen 15:17. Are they described as two different items
in Hebrew? Was the torch fueling the smoking furnace? I know it seems like
an odd question, but it's very difficult for me to picture in my mind. I'd
like to get some idea of what Abraham was seeing. Any help would be great.
Thank you.