b-hebrew - RE: Gen 15:17

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Smith" <kens AT 180solutions.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Gen 15:17
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:09:41 -0800

TNWR occurs at:

Gen. 15:17
Exodus 7:28
Lev. 2:4
Lev. 7:9
Lev. 11:35
Lev. 26:26
Is. 31:9
Hos. 7:4
Hos. 7:6
Hos. 7:7
Mal 3:19
Psalms 21:10
Lam. 5:10
Neh. 3:11
Neh. 12:38

In most of these, it just means "oven" (i.e., for baking). In Is. 31:9,
it's symbolic of God's presence in Jerusalem, and is parallel to )WR
("fire"). In Hosea it's a metaphor for the people's lust and sin; in
Ps. 21:10, for the divine justice.

But Gen. 15:17 is the only occurrence of TNWR ($N in the MT.

Ken